This month, we’re teaming up with Crisp, one of our favorite spots to pick up a healthy and delicious salad located in NW Portland. Whether you’re brand new to Fit Kitchen Direct or have been with us from the beginning, we have a special treat coming for you all month long as we feature one of Crisp’s signature salads each week in our menu lineup (of course with a little added Fit Kitchen flare!).
For our first week (next week!) we’re featuring Megan’s all-time favorite, the Kaleo Paleo! Here at Fit Kitchen Direct, we strive for 100% gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free meals that not only leave you feeling good and nourished but completely satisfied in the belly! So what are you going to be eating next week after a long day? Maybe your day looks like hitting the gym before work, only to have a long day in the office and come home feeling exhausted. Maybe you’re a busy mom and the kids have baseball practice and somehow swim lessons already starting up. Maybe you just have a million living things on your plate striving to be your best-self but seem to be limited on your time to cook. Well instead of stopping by the nearest Chipotle on your way home because it’s fast and we all tell ourselves that it’s “healthy”, right, what if you had a whole stack of nourishing meals just waiting for you, including the Kaleo Paleo Salad? Let’s see how the two stack up!
Chipotle Chicken Burrito: You decide to go for the Chipotle burrito but try to make some healthy substitutes. You load up your tortilla with chicken, brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, lettuce, fresh tomato salsa, skip the sour cream and cheese but of course add the guac even though it’s extra. Let’s see how that stacks up!
- Macro Rundown: Protein 55g, Carbs 122g, Fat 45.5g, Fiber 20g, Cal 1115
- Sodium: 2380 mg
Although this burrito is packed full of protein and has a good amount of fiber, you’re left feeling ready to go burrito-mode yourself under the covers after consuming more than half the average recommended calorie intake per day. Not to mention where did all of that salt come from!?
Mhhhh, thinking that salad may be a better option? Let’s take a look!
Kaleo Paleo Salad from Crisp: This nutrient-dense salad is packed to the brim with spinach, kale, red cabbage, broccoli, cucumber, chicken breast, bacon, and basil lovers dressing (wow, I’m already sold!)
- Macro Rundown: Protein 35g, Carbs 10g, Fat 21g, Fiber 3g, Cal 369
Let’s look at the ingredients in this powerhouse salad!
- Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K (good for bone health), vitamin A and vitamin C (good for immunity), manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium, and fiber. In addition to the nutrient richness of this tasty green, spinach also provides the carotenoids lutein, neoxanthin, and violaxanthin that help improve eyesight and reduce puffiness around the eyes; the flavonoids spinacetin, patuletin, and jaceidin which provide anti-inflammatory support; and naturally occurring nitrates.
- Kale is excellent source of vitamin K (cancer protective), vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese, copper (important for iron absorption), vitamin B6, fiber, calcium (good for bone health), potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin B2. Not to mention, kale has iove 45 different flavonoids especially kaempferol, quercetin, and isorhamnetin. These antioxidants help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent disease! Lastly, kale is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping the liver healthy.
- Red Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C and vitamin B6. Not to mention, the rich red color of red cabbage reflects its concentration of anthocyanin polyphenols, that provide unique antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Cabbage also contains as rich supply of glucosinolates, or phytonutrients that can be converted by the body into isothiocyanates that have special detoxification and anti-cancer properties.
- Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, chromium, vitamin B5, calcium, and fiber. Broccoli is also highly concentrated in phytonutrients, especially glucosinolates (same as with cabbage above!) that are thought to be cancer-protective. From strengthening the immune system to helping maintain healthy and glowing skin, what’s not to love about broccoli!
- Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin K and molybdenum. While this veggie may pack a small punch calories wise, it makes a huge impact nutritionally providing a variety of health-supportive phytonutrients including flavonoids (apigenin, luteolin, quercetin, and kaempferol), lignans (pinoresinol, lariciresinol, and secoisolariciresinol), and triterpenes.
I don’t know about you, but I’m reaching for the Kaleo Paleo salad for sure! How can you pass up on something that leaves you feeling satisfied and full while knowing you’re fueling your body with all the best nature has to offer! And don’t even skimp on the Basil Lovers Dressing with basil being packed full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and acting as an adaptogen in the body to naturally respond to stress and fight disease! Let’s take one last side-by-side look:
Protein: the Kaleo Paleo coming in strong at 35g from locally sourced chicken and plant-powered protein sources, versus the Chipotle burrito with 55g from mostly chicken and beans.
Carbohydrates: the Kaleo Paleo keeping it carb friendly with only 10g, most of which is coming from fresh vegetables, versus the Chipotle burrito with a whopping 122g!
Fat: the Kaleo Paleo packs a good dose of healthy fats (and a little bacon, yum!) at 21g, versus the Chipotle burrito with almost double that amount at 45.5g. We love fats here at Fit Kitchen, but we love even more when they’re heart healthy and fuel your body in the best possible way!
Calories: Do I even need to say much for the calories? The Paleo Paleo coming in at 369 calories versus the Chipotle Burrito with almost 3 times that amount at 1115 calories and over 2000g of sodium! Wow, I’d rather just eat three delicious Kaleo Paleo Salads on that note!
Make sure to get your order in by Thursday, May 31st, so you don’t miss out on the first salad, the Kaleo Paleo! Keep your eye out every week to see the next Crisp salad we’ll be featuring!